Any nutrient powerhouse that packs large doses of minerals, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants is known as a superfood. Although there is no medical or legal definition for such foods, this is the best definition available.
Consuming superfoods has several benefits including reducing the risk of chronic disease.
Additional benefits are prolonged life and healthier and thinner individuals compare to those who do not consume them. Knowing some of the superfoods available in the market will assist you incorporate them into your diet. People who have used such foods have stated that they are quite effective.
Benefits of superfoods
There is a lot of hype surrounding superfoods. With this in mind, some people are not sure whether to believe such foods are as effective as they are said to be. In order to know their effectiveness, you will need to get information on the benefits of these foods. They are:
- Inflammation reduction – superfoods have been found to be capable of marginally reducing inflammation in the body
- Metabolism regulation – one of the causes of weight problems is unregulated metabolism. When a person consumes superfoods, they regulate their metabolism to the point that weight gain is minimized
- Lower cholesterol – high cholesterol is the main cause of high blood pressure, weight gain and heart disease. Superfoods have low cholesterol levels making them good for people who are suffering from cholesterol induced conditions
- Toxins protection – superfoods are good at protecting your organs from toxins
- Fight heart disease – through cholesterol reduction and other health benefits, superfoods are good at fighting heart disease
- Fight cancer – an overall healthy body has a better chance of fighting cancer than a normal body. Superfoods ensure your body is healthy making it possible to effectively fight cancer
- Improve your Digestion – generally speaking, digestion is improved when superfoods are consumed
Top 7 superfoods you need to know about
There are seven main superfoods that you should know about. These are foods that can be easily found in your grocery store:
- Raw nuts: salt-free, raw nuts such as cashews, walnuts and almonds provide omega-3fatty acids and fiber when eaten in moderation. They are also packed with vitamins as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron. Nuts are a great way of lowering heart disease especially when they are used as a substitute for red meat.
- Berries: cranberries, blueberries and strawberries are filled with vitamins, fiber and plant compounds known as phytochemicals. Such compounds assist in lowering the risk of developing chronic disease.
- Salmon: salmon is the only food that delivers a high omega-3 fatty acids dose. It is high in B vitamins, has a high protein contentfor each serving and is low in saturated fat and calories.
- Beans: legumes like beans, lentils and peas are low in fat and high in protein. They are superb sources of phosphorous, iron and potassium. They are also an excellent soluble fiber source which can assist in maintenance of healthy blood sugar levels and reduction of blood cholesterol.
- Broccoli: leafy, fresh green vegetables are mostly more vitamin-rich and flavorful than frozen or canned varieties. Broccoli is among the leading vegetables as it contains folic acid and vitamins A and C.
- Quinoa: it is a South American grain that is a fine substitute for pasta or white rice (for people trying to lose weight). Quinoa is great for people who have type 2 diabetes as provides sufficient protein as a bowl of rice without effecting your sugar levels. It is high in protein, gluten-free, easy to digest and flavorful.
- Green tea: Asian nations have consistently touted the health benefits of green tea for more than 5 millenniums. It contains and antioxidant that is believed to have the ability of boosting metabolism and reducing cancer risk. There is some evidence that suggests green tea can help prevent diabetes, decrease the risk of some cancers and protect against a number of autoimmune disorders.
Do superfoods really work?
Superfoods work by providing your diet with a healthy boost while at the same time reducing risk of heart disease and other health complications.
Such foods have a big nutritional punch and are strong sources of fiber, minerals, vitamins and other beneficial nutrients. They are usually high in antioxidants and phytonutrients to asset in cancer prevention.
Get the top 17 Superfoods as powder in 1 convenient packaging.